Martin Lim’s Modernity, Annie 50’s Retro Chic

Silvia Di Iorio
Day 2 of Fashion Week continued with more variety from our beloved Montreal designers. While modernity ruled at Martin Lim, Annie 50 stayed true to their classic retro style. All in all, it was a good night in fashion.

MARTIN LIM

Martin Lim presented a refreshing collection for the Fall/Winter 2012 season, using vertical lines and blocks of color to their advantage. It seemed as though Danielle Martin and Pao Lim really had fun with their collection.

Strips of fabric were neatly sewn together to create modern ensembles. Each ensemble seemed like a work of monochromatic art within itself, with blocks of color such as fuchsia, sky blue, or red, to name a few. A lot of sleeveless, simple dresses were presented as well. Martin and Lim mainly played with lines and verticality, effectively  achieving elongated frames.

Martin Lim Fall/Winter 2012 MFW 22

There was a varietal mix of draped and more sturdy garments. The designers paid attention to the nature of the fabrics and worked around that notion to pull off certain looks, which I think they executed well. I personally loved the draped garments. My favorites were the two very last dresses to grace the runway. A gorgeous, backless, lavender floor-length dress with black halter straps, and a similar dress in off-white and black.

So simple yet so modern and elegant. I was definitely impressed and look forward to more great collections from Martin Lim.

ANNIE 50

I have been to quite a few Annie 50 shows by now to know what to expect, and sure enough, the signature Annie 50 touches were there: mainly a dramatic opening and a retro 50s inspired collection. Nonetheless, designers Annie Chagnon and Amélie Gingras-Rioux kept it fresh with an autumn color palette which included teal, dusty pink, and ochre to stand out against the greys, black, and off-white. Absolutely loved the colors!

A luxurious assortment of fabric combinations made it all the more interesting: wool and lace, satins, voile, and textured tweed. Raglan sleeved tweed jackets were perfect outwear pieces, while the fit and flare silhouettes added more 50’s flavor to the collection. A-line and circular skirts and dresses flowed nicely.

Annie 50 Fall/Winter 2012 MFW 22

It was nice to see a little bit of pattern as well. Small polka dots and a vintage-inspired Eiffel Tower print added more femininity while being modest. I thought the piping details were nice touches as well. This, along with the dusty pink flowers in the beehive hair-do’s and the masks created a more dramatic yet romantic feel to the collection.

Fall/Winter 2012 seems like a very promising and appealing collection for Annie 50, despite its predictable theme and style. Predictability can be a positive thing, however – as they say, “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it”. A really enjoyable show and collection overall.

Photo Credits: Jimmy Hammelin, Sebastien Roy

Share this with your friends!

Like this? Tweet it to your followers!

Latest articles from Silvia Di Iorio

blog comments powered by Disqus

Facebook Twitter RSS Feed 
Upcoming Fashion Events

No current events.

Banner