Spring-Summer 2013 with Tavan Mitto, Melissa Nepton, Anastasia Lomonova and Martin Lim

The 23rd edition of Montreal Fashion week began today at a new, larger location - the Arsenal in Griffintown. This stylish centre for contemporary art is where fashionistas are flocking to, this week.

Since they're showing their collection today, I wore this gorgeous georgette blouse from Tavan and Mitto with tailored trousers that have a flared bottom accent. The charming earrings are designed by Ralph Leroy.
See my previous post on my style philosophy borrowed from the creative genius, the late Alexander McQueen.

Shilpa Day 1 MFW23

That being done, onto the designers of the moment

Tavan & Mitto

Payam Tavan and Mike Mitto have been designing together since 1995. After a successful run in Europe, the duo moved to Montreal and have been regaling us with their collections ever since.

My Top Picks:

I love this halter dress in purple lace - fresh, feminine, and delicate all at the same time.

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

And this combination of pants in silver lace, with a cape blouse in a shimmery organza stood out with its strong yet pretty silhouette.

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Hits and Misses:

I loved how regal this long green dress looked

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

While the clean and classic tailoring was great, I thought the green was a tad too bright for lace on a dress.

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Must-haves:

This pair of silver shorts and ruffle-back jacket to make you feel younger than you are

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

and this little multicolour number that you could wear to any fancy occasion.

Tavan and Mitto s/s 2013

Overall, I liked almost everything Tavan and Mitto have in the works for spring/summer 2013. Meanwhile, you can get some great deals on items from Tavan and Mitto on the exclusive from Montreal's Finest designers store.

Melissa Nepton

Since showing her first collection in 2009 during the Montreal Fashion Week, Melissa Nepton has established herself as one of Quebec's top fashion designers.

My Top Picks:

This dramatic combination of black soft leather and georgette was my favourite piece of this show

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

And this soft blue piece was gentle and flowing and simply lovely

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Hits and Misses:

The collection's storyline of stripes and sheers? Creative. Refreshing.

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Except for this one that looked a bit too much like wrapping paper to my eyes

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Must-haves:

This black and white Kimono style sheer pant suit. Beautifully cut.

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

And this stripe sheer combo, an easy go-to when you need something elegant and classy.

Melissa Nepton s/s 2013

Anastasia Lomonova

Anastasia started her label in 2007, won several awards and has been named one of Canada’s most promising young designers.

My Top Picks:

This dress was stunning. Outstanding detailing

Anastasia Lomonova s/s 2013

And beautifully used fringe fabric made this piece stand out

Hits and Misses:

Intricate workmanship made this one a beauty

But didn't work the same magic into this

Must-haves:

This nicely cut jacket would be great staple to own

And this flowing 'fire' dress would definitely put a spark in your step

Martin Lim

Danielle MARTIN & Pao LIM have enthralled both national and international audiences with their fusion design aesthetic. Like in the past, their work speaks for itself. Have a look.

My Top Picks:

Colour medley done perfectly. This outfit screams Martin Lim in all the right ways.

Martin Lim s/s 2013

Martin Lim s/s 2013

This number made my list because of how fluidly fabric, colour, and styling fell into a stunning dress

Martin Lim s/s 2013

Martin Lim s/s 2013

Martin Lim s/s 2013

Hits and Misses:

The boxy silhouette, somewhat a Martin Lim trademark, looked gorgeous in this layered strap dress

Martin Lim s/s 2013

But this boxy outfit kind of missed the mark

Martin Lim s/s 2013

Must-haves:

An impeccably tailored black and ivory pantsuit - an outfit every girl must own

Martin Lim s/s 2013

This pair of marvelous printed pants will put a spring in your step

Martin Lim s/s 2013

And that's my round-up of day 1/4. We'll post more photos on our facebook page. Meanwhile let me know if you agree/disagree with my choices.

Shilpa VargheseShilpa has over 20 years of experience in the Fashion Industry. She has been involved in various areas of the fashion business like Imports, Manufacturing, Buying and Sales.

She brings her love for fashion and the written word to her role as the editor of this online publication. Also, her fondness for connecting with people and her fashion biz savvy are invaluable to the buying team at the Exclusive from Montreal's Finest store.

Join Montreal Fashion Bizvie on Facebook | Shilpa's Poetry | Shilpa on Pinterest

Share this with your friends!

Related Montreal Fashion News...

Like this? Tweet it to your followers!

Latest articles from Shilpa Varghese

blog comments powered by Disqus

Facebook Twitter RSS Feed 
Upcoming Fashion Events

No current events.

Banner
Fashion Biz Newsletter
* indicates required